Opening & Closing a Field Office – March 16, 2011 – Washington, DC
“Very informative and excellently presented. Great intro to all the various elements and helpful pointing out of issues I’d never considered. The practical how-to information was invaluable.” 2010 Attendee Comments
InsideNGO’s annual Opening and Closing a Field Office Workshop is a must attend workshop for those with operational responsibility for opening and/or closing an office. Experienced practitioners share lessons learned through actual case studies and provide attendees with templates, checklists, and procedural documents as part of an “Office Opening and Closing Manual. The highly interactive format encourages attendees to share their experiences and pose their questions.
Some Questions The Workshop Will Answer:
- I need to set-up systems, find local legal representation, set up a bank account and train staff. How do I make sure I am not forgetting any critical steps and doing everything correctly?
- Where should we look for a new office and what type of facility is best?
- The donor has just terminated our grant. The government says we must continue the program and staff threaten to sue if we close the office. What should I do?
- We are closing our office. The government says all the equipment and some supplies belong to them. HQ says we wait for the donor to tell us what to do? Who is correct and what do I do?
- If we lose our funding, what obligations does our organization have to our local staff?
What Topics Will Be Covered:
Office Approval, Registration, Budgeting, Legal Representation, Staffing, Payroll, Technology Needs, Insurance, Training, Post Opening Review, Project Closing, Office Shutdown Procedures, Disposition of Fixed Assets, Severance, Termination of Leases, Preparation for Unforeseen Incidents and more.
Who Should Attend?
Staff members who have global operational responsibility; compliance staff responsible for ensuring adherence to donor’s and organization’s requirements and local laws; Project Directors and Managers responsible for implementing projects with field offices.
The course level is intermediate. No advance preparation is required. No prerequisites.
Outcomes – By Participating In This Workshop You Will Be Able To:
- Develop or improve your organization’s Standard Operating Procedures for Opening and Closing a Field Office.
- Successfully serve on an operational opening or closing office team
- Mitigate risk through the understanding of good practices and incorporation of lessons learned into your organization’s processes
Earn HRCi Credits
This program has been approved for 6.75 (Specified-International) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.